Sunday, September 27, 2015

The Living Room Lately.


This past winter, we decided to give the living room a quick makeover with a fresh coat of paint. Like any project, it wasn't as quick as we intended it to be. Painting the walls snowballed into repainting the trim, the built-ins and the brick fireplace. Of course, I'm glad it worked out that way. Even though it was more work than we set out to take on, we were left with a fresh blank canvas to work with.


The walls went from neutral beige to a crisp bright white. My favorite white is Benjamin Moore, Chantilly Lace. It slowly making its way throughout my house. We used a velvet finish on the walls and a semi-gloss in the same color on the trim, fireplace brick and built-in. Amazing how a simple change can make a room feel so completely different.



We decided to leave the wallpaper on the back wall. It was a bit of a splurge a few years back and I worried I would tire of it quickly. While, I don't like that it dictates the color palette of the room, I still like the subtle geometric print and blue is definitely still a favorite color of mine.


I swapped out the white curtains for soft grey linen panels from Ikea. I absolutely love the pairing of light grey with crisp white. I think because of the expanse of the windows, I should likely add another panel to each side to give it some fullness. Add that to the list of things to do!

If you've been following this blog over the years, you'll likely notice it's changed quite a bit over the years. I've moved away from the more whimsical styling with lots of color pops, in favor of a more subdued palette. This time around, it feels much more like a reflection of my personal style.. more neutral colors, a variety of textures and simple styling.

It's so much fun to change things up. I wonder what the next couple of years will bring to the space?

Sources:
Rug: Rugs USA
Sofa: Ikea (Karlstad - shockingly discontined)
Coffee Table: CB2
End Tables: Target
Lamps: Target
Leather Poufs: Maison Marrakech
Eames Rocker (knockoff): Wire Home Furnishings
Chairs: Structube
Hanging Planter: West Elm
Panels: Ikea

3 comments:

  1. It looks great! I loooove those chairs from Structube - I've been eyeing them for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both version of your living room and your light fixture is stunning and to die for!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jane, Thanks for posting your product list. We just moved into a new home and have HUGE windows... I'm not complaining, but putting blinds on them is going to cost a near fortune. We have similar colours in our rooms, so I might go get some of those panels at IKEA :)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)