Monday, September 29, 2014

Rapture Red Door.

If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook, you are aware that something in my home recently got a big dose of color. That color is red. Benjamin Moore, Rapture to be exact. If you guessed that it was going on the front door, you were right!



*side note* I find it highly annoying that my kitchen light is on and you can see it through the window in the door. Although, apparently not annoying enough that I retake the photos.


It's funny, actually. While I do like all colors, if you were to ask me which ones I'm drawn to when decorating my home, I'd answer, white, cream, blues, greys, a little bit of black. But never would I say red. In fact, I think I almost had an aversion to it at one point in time. I may have even called it my least favorite color.


Sometimes however, the home itself can dictate your choices. Since I've bought this home, my mom has insisted that it needed a red door. She liked the green door but has always loved a good red door. She had a point. The house is white, the trim is charcoal grey. Mixed with red, it's just a good combination.

I steered away from it, feeling it was too traditional. I wanted something a little more trendy. Which was why I chose the green and loved it for a while. Then, after stripping it all, I didn't have the heart to put more paint on it after the work of taking it off and considered varnishing it and leaving it au naturel.



While it likely would have looked great, there was still some paint in the nooks and crannies of the door that I wasn't so inclined to get digging out so painting it was brought back on the table. I tossed around a lot of color ideas. I love love love black doors but it just wasn't going to work with the charcoal trim.


We got new house number too. Well, I shouldn't say new, since there hasn't been any at all for the last 5 years. Much to the delivery man's frustrations, I'm sure. I'm just fussy and wanted a more modern number font than I could find at any hardware store. I ended up ordering these ones online and Steph mounted them onto a leftover piece of birch from the beds in the bunk room. I love how it turned out. I'd like to get a new doorbell too!


Fall is the prettiest time for front doors. Bright mums, pumpkins and gourds are just so much fun!





Long story short, I was pretty indecisive about this door but red won out and I am happy with my choice. It's really not a true reflection of what the inside of the home feels like, since I much prefer softer tones versus bursts of color, so it's a little strange to me.

Hey, my mom was right. This house needed a red door.

Sources:
Paint on door: Benjamin Moore Rapture
Paint on trim: Para Paints Weathervane
Wreath: Target (recently on sale)
House Numbers: Amazon


10 comments:

  1. The new front door color looks fantastic!! As do those large modern house numbers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also never been a huge fan of red, but it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! Red doors are such a classic look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way about red. Not a huge fan inside the house, but I love a red door! Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same feeling about red, but every now and then I'll see something red and love it, like your door! It looks awesome and the fall touches are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that door is fantastic! I am partial to red, but despite my love of red, a red door is classic and is perfect on your house

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so great! Ties in perfectly with all the gray, and the existing brick looks great with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The door looks amazing! I think it plays well off the brick, and a red door is always eyecatching. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful inspiration! Red color on door looks very effective. Red color is the color of passion and energy. Really door look fantastic. Red color give it modern look. Nice and unique idea!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)